Program code: 050813
Group on entrance exam: III
Program duration and format: 4 years/ 8 semesters, full-time
Language of instruction: Azerbaijani
Required credits: 240
Awarded degree: Bachelor
Tuition fee: 2500 AZN
The mission of Social work is a contribution to welfare, establishment of social and economic justice. This program serves for the transmission of the knowledge about the legislative base related to social issues, social problems, social welfare, social work, social policy, theory of social work and social intervention.
The program inculcates skills in students in the investigation and analysis of needs, the implementation of social work according to the results, as well as doing research in this field. Students acquire knowledge and skills throughout the program that are essential for the social work profession, and get information about the effects of religion, ethnicity, gender, age and functionality attitude towards human rights and them.
The aims of the program:
- To fight against injustice and prepare social employees in order to promote social change;
- To prepare social employees, by reinforcing the opportunities of families and community systems, able to work with individuals and families included in risk groups;
- To prepare “agent of changes” being able to change the issues affecting individuals and families, social policy and community needs, in a good sense;
- To prepare general social employees being able to work with different population groups in the framework of confirmed ethnic principles;
- Permanent social work creates a basis for education.
Social work specialty is taught by the department of the organization and management of Social work. Five of the teachers did their master's degree in Social work abroad. Two of them are the alumnus of Washington St. Louis Social School of USA, two of them are alumnus of Columbia University, and the other one is an alumnus of Stockholm University. Four of the teachers have a degree of Doctor of Philosophy. In general, each of the teachers of the department has a deep experience in this area.
One of the distinguishing factors of Azerbaijan University from the other educational institutions is that the teachers teaching this subject have pure education in Social work. In addition, the teachers work as social workers in local and international companies realizing the social work at different levels (micro, mezzo and macro).
If aluminums choose Azerbaijan University, they will learn professional skills from pure Social work professionals, at the same time they will be participants of interactive lessons and gain all necessary skills for practical Social worker. In addition, according to the relations of Azerbaijan University with foreign universities, they will have opportunities to study on their specialties for one or two semesters at Lund University of Swiss Kingdom and Hacettapa University of Turkey.
In the process of teaching, students majoring in social work get acquainted with the whole governmental, non-governmental organizations and in accordance with the contract are sent to the relevant organizations in order to take practical training.
A supervisor of the practice guides the activity of the students in the organizations and conduct negotiations with those organizations so that students are able to benefit from the practice as much as possible.
Graduates, studying bachelor degree on Social work, gain all necessary knowledge and skills required for working at individual, group and community levels as an independent social worker.
They also gain:
- Knowledge base of social work;
- Become informed about the interaction between people and social environment irrespective of their race, religion, age, sex, physical, mental condition, functional and social status;
- Determination of the way to interfere with the current problems, implementation of social work and evaluation of final results;
- Management of social work;
- Working in team and collaborating with other employee.
Graduates of this course can work in governmental and non-governmental organizations, as well as representatives or relevant international organizations in charge of the social protection of population. There can be included the Ministry of Labor and Social Protection of Population, the State Committee for Family, Women and Children Affairs, the State Social Protection Fund, the Ministry of Education, relevant funds of UN organizations, etc.
Knowledge and skills on the course is taught through the following subjects:
- Introduction to Social Work
- Theory and experience of Social Work
- Ethic principles of Social Work
- Social Work with individuals, families and groups
- Research methods in Social Work
- Social Policy
- Social programs and services
- Globalization and international Social Work
- Social Work with organizations and communities
- Social Work and Domestic violence
- Social Work with children and adolescents
- Social Work with disabled people
- Social Work with refugees and migrants
Class Schedule of Social Work available HERE.